labadee is confusing me

mom2mybugs

Hi everyone...

Wondering what to do on Labadee.  Bungalow is out because of the price (I'd rather get a drink pkg) but we are comparing the beach lounger for 2 (we would need two because we have 3 people...$90) and the beach bed.  I have a few questions:  1.  do the beach loungers (that look like clam shells) include chairs or are you just laying inside them?  And can more than 2 people access the area if you only pay for 2 (ie...if the teen is gone most of the day, can we tag team the chairs).  If they come with chairs, can I pull them out into the sun?   Also, which beach are these on, because I cant figure that out.  2.  the beach bed is $175 and on adrenaline beach.  How is that beach?  Can you get to bar service and other areas easily ?  In terms of the bed, can you fit more than 2 people if we are sitting up etc..(ie like above can we tag team it and access the area for 3 people if we get one bed)?  3.  Finally, are there just lounge chairs available everywhere?  Do you pay for them and are they gettable?  And what beaches are they at?  

I've tried looking at the maps, but I'm confused lol.  I've tried searching, but alot of the info I think i can find here is embedded in other discussions about bungalows, etc.  If one of you experts can help me, that would totally rock and save me a bunch of time ? Jane

Hi @mom2mybugs.  My husband and I have rented the beach loungers for 2 many times.  We used to get the cabanas, but those are much more expensive now.  We love the beach loungers.  Yes, the chairs are included.  The loungers are on Adrenaline Beach with a view of the people coming down the Dragon's Flight zip line.  They are on the opposite side of the suite guest Barefoot Beach Club.  Restrooms are conveniently close.  I like the shade, but my husband always drags his chair into the sun.  When you check in at the hut for the lounger area, they give each person (the 2 people) a wrist band.  You can chose your clam shell based on availability.  It is first come, first served.  From our experiences, they don't seem to restrict people from walking into the area that don't have wristbands, so it shouldn't be a problem for your teen to come and go.  Rob said there is a bar right behind the area.  Once, we did have a problem with people just plopping down between the clam shells, and eventually the island attendant made them leave.  Hope this helps!

25 minutes ago, Dawn T. said:

Hi @mom2mybugs.  My husband and I have rented the beach loungers for 2 many times.  We used to get the cabanas, but those are much more expensive now.  We love the beach loungers.  Yes, the chairs are included.  The loungers are on Adrenaline Beach with a view of the people coming down the Dragon's Flight zip line.  They are on the opposite side of the suite guest Barefoot Beach Club.  Restrooms are conveniently close.  I like the shade, but my husband always drags his chair into the sun.  When you check in at the hut for the lounger area, they give each person (the 2 people) a wrist band.  You can chose your clam shell based on availability.  It is first come, first served.  From our experiences, they don't seem to restrict people from walking into the area that don't have wristbands, so it shouldn't be a problem for your teen to come and go.  Rob said there is a bar right behind the area.  Once, we did have a problem with people just plopping down between the clam shells, and eventually the island attendant made them leave.  Hope this helps!

Dawn...thank you so much!  This was hugely helpful.  I think i probably will just go ahead and get two but even with that it is way cheaper than the beach bed.  I'm excited to book them...i have only had a chance to go to cococay and that got weathered out so we didn't tender!   Can't wait...its cold in chicago lol!  Thanks again ? Jane

Take a look at @Matt blog for first timers at Labadee 

http://royalcaribbeanblog.com/2013/08/20/first-timers-guide-labadee

I'm there tomorrow on Navigator and we discussed bed/bungalow/cabana but decided to just go with the free loungers and save money for excursions on other islands.  

BTW - Love Labadee!

Jane, I am not particularly fond of Adrenaline Beach...but I am not a beach lover anyway so maybe my opinion doesn't really count.  I found Adrenaline to be very shallow and very hard on the feet (lots of dead coral and shells).  If I were going to sit on a beach in Labadee (and I NEVER do, BTW), I would choose Columbus Cove.  I think that side of the peninsula is much nicer than the one on which Adrenaline is located.  I am also a sun-avoider so I cannot really speak to the lounge chair types.  I always got a cabana and took a nap, which is why we no longer get cabanas !  All we ever did was sleep there.  I can sleep on the ship for nothing !

15 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If I were going to sit on a beach in Labadee (and I NEVER do, BTW), I would choose Columbus Cove.  I think that side of the peninsula is much nicer than the one on which Adrenaline is located.

I second this. We were on Columbus Cove and it was nice soft powder-like sand. Every review I’ve ever read or watched on YouTube shows that Adrenaline Beach is rocky and wearing water shoes is mandatory if you want to avoid getting your feet cut up.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:21 PM, twangster said:

Take a look at @Matt blog for first timers at Labadee 

http://royalcaribbeanblog.com/2013/08/20/first-timers-guide-labadee

I'm there tomorrow on Navigator and we discussed bed/bungalow/cabana but decided to just go with the free loungers and save money for excursions on other islands.  

BTW - Love Labadee!

We are going to Labadee on the Allure next week ? Last time over ther was in 2012... as there are only me and the missus we are not planning to spend a lot of extra on the beach accommodations. Can anyone share if there are free sun chairs over at Nellie’s beach/Columbus cove? 

6 hours ago, Anzo said:

We are going to Labadee on the Allure next week ? Last time over ther was in 2012... as there are only me and the missus we are not planning to spend a lot of extra on the beach accommodations. Can anyone share if there are free sun chairs over at Nellie’s beach/Columbus cove? 

Yes.  Spent the day yesterday sitting front row  at Nellue's beach.   Zero cost for the day.   

On 12/9/2018 at 9:09 AM, JLMoran said:

I second this. We were on Columbus Cove and it was nice soft powder-like sand. Every review I’ve ever read or watched on YouTube shows that Adrenaline Beach is rocky and wearing water shoes is mandatory if you want to avoid getting your feet cut up.

Your description reminds me of Tobacco Bay ..... water shoes are a must.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:05 AM, averbeck said:

Just to make sure you know.  Chairs themselves are free (you can tip the employees who drag them over to where you want them).   Of course these are the chairs without cushions and you'd have to find your own shade.

The shade us what concerns me.  My husband hates the sun and is all about the shade.  I just don't think I can chance the lucking out on free chairs in the shade.  Can we have the chairs in adrenaline beach and walk over to Columbus cove to swim?  I'm really not having a good grasp on how big labadee is!  I will definitely take the point about beach shoes being a must.  Jane

30 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

I'm really not having a good grasp on how big labadee is!

To give some sense of it, walking from the ship to Nellie's Beach and our cabana took me about five minutes moving at a brisk (for being mobility limited) walking speed. Adrenaline beach is about midway on that jaunt and the closest beach to the ship, IIRC.

9 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

The shade us what concerns me.  My husband hates the sun and is all about the shade.  I just don't think I can chance the lucking out on free chairs in the shade.  Can we have the chairs in adrenaline beach and walk over to Columbus cove to swim?  I'm really not having a good grasp on how big labadee is!  I will definitely take the point about beach shoes being a must.  Jane

Our experience is similar to @JLMoran with about a 5 minute walk however you do need to walk through the artist market which isn't bad.  Nellie's beach might be closer.

We were on Independence in November and I was shocked how empty Columbus Cove was compared to our March Harmony cruise.  Can you wait to see if you can find free shade at Columbus Cove and if not purchase a clamshell that day?  I know zip line and mats can be purchased day of but not sure of the clamshells.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, melski94 said:

Our experience is similar to @JLMoran with about a 5 minute walk however you do need to walk through the artist market which isn't bad.  Nellie's beach might be closer.

We were on Independence in November and I was shocked how empty Columbus Cove was compared to our March Harmony cruise.  Can you wait to see if you can find free shade at Columbus Cove and if not purchase a clamshell that day?  I know zip line and mats can be purchased day of but not sure of the clamshells.

I could wait but we are going the end of march and I'm assuming it will be packed!  If we get a better free seat, then we can just give up the shells and be no worse off than if we used them.  Jane

• 3 weeks later...

So on my 15 hour drive home from Colorado, I have been watching tons of youtube videos and listening to a billion podcasts (thanks @Matt).  Anyway, the hour long walk around labadee video was great and showed me it really is pretty small.  I pretty much won't go in the water, but if I decide we want to, we can walk over to Nellie's beach or Columbus cove.  In the video, those two areas were absolutely wall to wall with sunbathers, but the water was pretty empty.  On the other hand, adrenaline beach was way less crowded, and though it looked rocky, the lack of people and the water hitting the rocks was great.  Now I just have to be the first one off the ship to get my front row clam!   I'm also really playing with the idea of heading back to the boat for lunch but I don't even think we dock til 930, so seems silly to go back and forth twice.  And I have to just decide it's ok if we only spend 2 or 3 hours if it's super crowded.  After all, there is an amazing pool and drink pkg on allure ? Jane

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Your drink package will extend to Labadee and they serve lunch there as well..if that helps you make a decision.

Yes...I did know that... Though matt and a few others have said the food is so so.  I may not get off my chair anyway lol... Have to send the hubby to use our drink pkg and send me drinks!  Jane