Never know where cruising will lead...

KJ1231

So last year at Christmas I dug out some old trains and added some new ones for the grandkids. I have always enjoyed the trains but never had the time for an extravagant layout. Still don't....

When thinking about getting the trains out this year it reminded me of our Alaska cruise with the fantastic Alaska Railroad ride from Anchorage to Seward, a ride I'll not soon forget. I started to look around to see if anyone made any similar to what we rode. Well I almost the exact locomotive! Ours was a GP40-2, No. 3013. Atlas makes a GP40-2 No. 3008. Had to have it and since it only comes in DCC (sound, etc.) I had to upgrade my controller, too! It really is cool how close the model is to the real deal.:

Here is my wife with No. 3013 in Seward:

P1010837.thumb.JPG.1289a2b91e2445e9a817139b1e418366.JPG

Here's the model:

No3008.JPG.874a0ac2c87f5efd4e15abda42e64d0b.JPG

And here's a video of today's purchase:

Alaskatrain video

Train rides that come to mind: the Southern most in Ushiaia, Argentina, into a national park, with train tracks that were built by convicts to transport convicts.  Also as an add-on, the train ride that goes to Machu Picchu from Cusco. The Rocky Mountaineer and an Alaska cruise, although pricey, is a great combination.  Oslo-Bergen train that connects with cruises in Norway. 

We did the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle several years ago before a cruise. Both parts were great and I would do it again. We met people who said they do the train ride in every season because it changes so much. 

I also want to take the train between Seattle and Vancouver sometime. It is supposed to be a beautiful ride.

one word of caution though. Make sure there is plenty of time built into your itinerary between the train ride and the cruise. Just as things can go wrong with flights so can they on train rides. On our trip, there was an onboard emergency. This delayed our train so the window for the track use had to be changed. I had built in 36 hours between the cruise and the end of the train ride and was glad I had.

there are some trains I have been looking at in Africa and in Asia...

so big a world, so little time!