Reasons for booking a cruise

karl_nj

There is a glass blowing shop at Dockyard in Bermuda.  My wife bought some earrings there a few years ago, when we were on a cruise.  Unfortunately one broke on Thanksgiving day.  We were both kinda bummed out, since they were nice earrings and they always reminded us of the first cruise (and only) we went on together without our children.

Normally I have a few vacations planned ahead, but I hadn't booked anything for 2019 yet.  I had been mulling over a few options for spring break, including a few cruises.

That evening I emailed my Travel Agent to see if there were any connecting balcony cabins still available for the week our kids are off for Spring Break.  I figured if there was anything available, it was meant to be.

A few minutes later I got an email back letting me know that 2 connecting balcony cabins were indeed available.  So, of course, I told her to book it immediately!

Anyone else ever come up with tenuous reasons for booking cruise vacations?

We were having a very bland dinner one night and Hubby mentioned he was craving La Bamba (our favourite pre-cruise restaurant in Fort Lauderdale).  Jokingly (sort of lol), I told him we should book a cruise and then we can eat there. 2 days later we had a cruise booked out of FLL. ?

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We were having a very bland dinner one night and Hubby mentioned he was craving La Bamba (our favourite pre-cruise restaurant in Fort Lauderdale).  Jokingly (sort of lol), I told him we should book a cruise and then we can eat there. 2 days later we had a cruise booked out of FLL. ?

reading this post made me smile. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and have for my whole life.. I have eaten at La Bamba for the past 25 years and I absolutely love it. I prob eat there or take out from there once a week. 

Hub teases me about my wanderlust and wanting to travel.  He says if I could I'd say "I wanna go to the bahaaaaaamaaaaaas"  Now he's never been on a cruise (I told him being on an aircraft carrier doesnt count as a cruise vacation) so over the past several years I've been trying to convince him to vacation with me, and I brought up a cruise again.   Now most of our cruise discussions had been 20 minutes or so mulling over how nice it would be and my answering all of his cruise related questions.   Well this time the conversation lasted 2 hours and I was given the go ahead to book the cruise.   My parents both have been cruising a lot and I was at my boiling point to finally book the cruise.  I found the 5 night Bermuda cruise and the price was definitely right for a suite.  I figured to go suite to give him the best experience he could have on a cruise since I knew that the smaller sizes of an interior or even ocean view cabin would immediately turn him off.  Then on black friday the price went down even more and I said that there'd be no way the suite I wanted would be much lower, so I booked.  I had that initial "omg I just spent a ton of money" fear, but then I ran in to him and told him we're going on a cruise and he legit looked happy!  A bit of a fairy tale story, but it just all worked out for us.

8 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That must be quite the restaurant!  I’ll have to keep it in mind next time I’m in the area. 

8 hours ago, ThyriC said:

Hub teases me about my wanderlust and wanting to travel.  He says if I could I'd say "I wanna go to the bahaaaaaamaaaaaas"  Now he's never been on a cruise (I told him being on an aircraft carrier doesnt count as a cruise vacation) so over the past several years I've been trying to convince him to vacation with me, and I brought up a cruise again.   Now most of our cruise discussions had been 20 minutes or so mulling over how nice it would be and my answering all of his cruise related questions.   Well this time the conversation lasted 2 hours and I was given the go ahead to book the cruise.   My parents both have been cruising a lot and I was at my boiling point to finally book the cruise.  I found the 5 night Bermuda cruise and the price was definitely right for a suite.  I figured to go suite to give him the best experience he could have on a cruise since I knew that the smaller sizes of an interior or even ocean view cabin would immediately turn him off.  Then on black friday the price went down even more and I said that there'd be no way the suite I wanted would be much lower, so I booked.  I had that initial "omg I just spent a ton of money" fear, but then I ran in to him and told him we're going on a cruise and he legit looked happy!  A bit of a fairy tale story, but it just all worked out for us.

Sounds like a great plan. Hopefully you manage to get him to become a cruise enthusiast!  I love those 5 day Bermuda cruises. 

12 hours ago, karl_nj said:

There is a glass blowing shop at Dockyard in Bermuda.  My wife bought some earrings there a few years ago, when we were on a cruise.  Unfortunately one broke on Thanksgiving day.  We were both kinda bummed out, since they were nice earrings and they always reminded us of the first cruise (and only) we went on together without our children.

Normally I have a few vacations planned ahead, but I hadn't booked anything for 2019 yet.  I had been mulling over a few options for spring break, including a few cruises.

That evening I emailed my Travel Agent to see if there were any connecting balcony cabins still available for the week our kids are off for Spring Break.  I figured if there was anything available, it was meant to be.

A few minutes later I got an email back letting me know that 2 connecting balcony cabins were indeed available.  So, of course, I told her to book it immediately!

Anyone else ever come up with tenuous reasons for booking cruise vacations?

Bermuda will do that to you --- she has a certain "draw" that can't be denied --- @JLMoran will understand that.  We had just gotten back from our first trip to Bermuda (Sept. 2016) --- and -- while we were sitting up around the bonfire (and drinking beers) a couple of weeks later -- we booked it again for 2017 -- turned out to be the fun filled Hurricane Jose Cruise.......we still had a blast --- Bermuda is just one of those places that you just instantly fall in love with (and the proximity for us in Maryland is an added bonus)

1 hour ago, karl_nj said:

That must be quite the restaurant!  I’ll have to keep it in mind next time I’m in the area. 

It is a "MUST TRY"!  See my Mariner blog for menu and food pics:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/8955-“moments-on-mariner”-–-mariner-of-the-seas–-august-13-17-2018/

15 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Bermuda will do that to you --- she has a certain "draw" that can't be denied --- @JLMoran will understand that.

Oh yes. Not home from Bermuda even two weeks, my wife asks if there are any cruises that go to Bermuda during Teachers Convention week, "so we could at least bring our younger daughter with us." This was after *I* was the one saying we kind of needed to think about being in dry dock for 2019! Well, nothing available during that week (at least not on Royal; NCL had a sailing there, but I've heard enough negatives about NCL in general plus recent reviews of that ship in particular that we decided not to try them, at least this time). We kindly offered an alternative cruise option for that week to our younger daugther, and after she declined we basically said, "Ah, the heck with it. Let's just go back to Bermuda again in October next year! The kids got by fine on their own last time, they can do it again." ?

Not much of a reason to book a cruise just make sure you are more than tipsy that will make it easier to book another cruise. The last day on Anthem OTS on Thanksgiving's Cruise, we put the appointment on next cruise but not sure we will book. Anyway, we had too much to drink that night and both me and my husband pretty much loaded. We went to the next cruise and YOLO book it SYMPHONY OF THE SEA for October 2019. Somehow we managed to book the right days even though we really more than tipsy. We booked for the week my son will have 2 days off during parent and teacher conference so he needs to take off just 3 days not sure how we managed to get the day right that night but we did. So we will be on Symphony in Oct 2019. ???

13 hours ago, ThyriC said:

Now he's never been on a cruise (I told him being on an aircraft carrier doesnt count as a cruise vacation)

Heard a similar story from a Marine that was deployed on multiple ship deployments. Never wanted to get back on a ship, but he is going to get back on one so he can take his daughter on DCL cruise.

Congratulations for getting your husband back on a ship.

Wife was blue at the beginning of this school year facing the prospects of so many wonderfully behaved, never any problems other peoples children to deal with.  Saw a reasonably priced cruise on Adventure of the Seas sailing in now 8 days (Dec. 16th) so booked the cheapest interior room, which she was fine with (we've always had balconies in past cruises).  Got my email offer earlier this week to bid on an upgrade, so I did, RCCL accepted, and now we have a balcony cabin on the same deck not too far from the original cabin.  Haven't told her, and she's a little directionally challenged, so hope it will be a total surprise when she opens up the door!

25 minutes ago, Salt Water Buckeye said:

Wife was blue at the beginning of this school year facing the prospects of so many wonderfully behaved, never any problems other peoples children to deal with.  Saw a reasonably priced cruise on Adventure of the Seas sailing in now 8 days (Dec. 16th) so booked the cheapest interior room, which she was fine with (we've always had balconies in past cruises).  Got my email offer earlier this week to bid on an upgrade, so I did, RCCL accepted, and now we have a balcony cabin on the same deck not too far from the original cabin.  Haven't told her, and she's a little directionally challenged, so hope it will be a total surprise when she opens up the door!

Sounds like this is New RoyalUp program..if so.... You are the FIRST person that i have actually heard get an upgraded room. Congrats!

they-do-exist.jpg

1 hour ago, Salt Water Buckeye said:

There a few teachers on this blog. We feel your wife's pain. when do your holidays break start. When the school year calendar comes out, I start booking cruises.

Responding to KaB's post.  Yea, I booked the cruise to give my great wife something to cheer her up when school started, but it's also to celebrate her 60th B'day.  Not emphasizing it for obvious reasons to not keep her in the blues.  Last Nov. we cruised on Jewel OTS to celebrate an anniversary.  Loved that boat.  Our nephew has sailed twice with his family on Adventure & have another booking on Adventure in April '19. They love this boat, so we are really looking forward to our adventure on the Adventure!!!

I am finding that cruises in my house get booked as soon as I suffer through the first really cold winter spell.  Suddenly the need to have warm while in a deck chair becomes more important than the budget!!!  I was all set to cancel the 2019 spring break trip and the cold started killing me....I found the plane tickets lol!  Jane

• 3 weeks later...