Talk to me about Chef's Table and 150 Central Park

irishgirl0525

We plan to do MDR for our upcoming cruise on Allure, but I think we would like to do one or 2 specialty restaurants for dinner as we will be celebrating both our 10th anniversary and my husband's birthday and I did make a reservation at 150 Central Park.

In looking at the sample menus on line for 150 Central park I am not wowed by the dishes, but I have seen everyone raving about this venue, so I am intrigued.  I have only just started looking at Chef's Table but the cover charge gives me pause.  Is it absolutely amazing? What do you like best about these restaurants? I don't want to waste an opportunity to try something that is a must eat. 

I also don't know if I want to add $200 to our bill, we are already getting pre-cruise purchase items like the drink package and you know how it all adds up! I have seen on another board that some people have gotten a discount to Chef's Table while on board, what is the likelihood of that happening?

As background, we enjoy dining out and do so frequently, we generally don't do chain restaurants and we have easy access to NYC restaurants.  We like interesting but not crazy menu items (for example, I have tried but do not like sweetbreads or other organ meats).    I like sushi but my husband is not a fan so Izumi is probably not going to be an option for our specialty dining. (But I fully intend to do the sushi making session!)

I originally thought we would do Chops, but based on reviews I have heard, I'm thinking I'll just get the Chops filet in the dining room to get my tenderloin fix.

Oh and while I'm asking about food, can we get a great burger on the ship?

Thanks for your advice!

150 Central Park, the Sea scallops and short ribs are good, but my best is the Tenderloin for 2, very well prepared and great flovor.

Chefs Table, I have not done it yet, but will be dinning in January when I'm on Allure, pinging @JLMoran for his feedback, but I would say if you like a 5-6 course meal specially prepared for you with matching wines, then it is for you. I'm not even a wine drinker and I'm going to give it a chance. Yes, in October on Freedom, they were walking around the ship and giving discounts if you tired the Chef's table, we were going to but didn't have an open night.

Hamburger, I wouldn't have this insight until I tried one on Freedom, but the hamburger that you get in Chops on the Lunch menu is amazing, best hamburger I have had on any cruise ship.

Don't discount Chops to much, what I have figured out is that you have to know what to order, as an example, I'm from the Midwest, so when I get a steak and baked potato I usually get a russet potato, from Chops I got a Yukon Gold, so it was a little off, but the Mac and cheese is good as well as the mushrooms. Some people like the special tots they have but I don't, but they will bring you all of the side dishes you want, if you want to try them all.

Jamie's is also very, very good. Have not done Wonderland so have no input. Izumi Hibachi is also very, very good, I assume you know what you get there, but you can also order sushi as an appetizer at the Hibachi grill.

On another thread you asked about lobster night, it has been the second formal night of the cruise recently. 

150 CP was originally a concept restaurant based on a relationship with Michael Schwartz.  The menu and offerings came from his ideas and concepts.  That relationship is ending and the sample menus adjusted to reflect that.  On Symphony there remains a 150 CP venue but no reference to Michael Schwartz.  On Oasis the relationship and menu stands for now but that will change at some future point.  My waiter last week thought it might occur in the fall dry dock but that was just his guess.  Unsure about Allure.  

I enjoyed two meals in 150 CP last week.  I though the food was very good but food is personal.  

The Windjammer burger is pretty pedestrian.  Think of a plain McDonalds burger.  With the right toppings it's okay but not a great burger.    

All Oasis class have Johnny Rockets.  Burgers are available for an extra cost.  Great burger?  Food is personal.  Better than Windjammer.

Chops Grille offers a Dry Aged Steak Burger on some ships.  It was pretty good on Oasis last week.  

The room service burger is pretty good IMO but carries a $7.95 per order charge unless in a GS or better.

Up front a word of warning:  The MDR steak is NOT equivalent to a Chop's filet.  I'm not a huge steak fan but I had the MDR steak once and NEVER again.  It was awful.  So if you're REALLY in the mood for a good steak at least once on your cruise, I highly recommend that you do NOT depend on the one in the MDR to be it !

IMO the best steak (unless you're in a full suite and can take advantage of the one in the Coastal Kitchen, which is excellent !) is actually at Jaimie's.  The second best is in Chop's.  I don't think we've ever tried the steak-for-2 at 150 but I've heard others who have gotten it and enjoyed it.

150 is not the restaurant it used to be, IMO.  When 150 Central Park was new to the fleet it was what Wonderland tried to become (I am NOT a fan of Wonderland) - a whimsical dining adventure.  There were multiple courses and it was an adventurous but tasty menu.  I still enjoy 150...but it's not what it used to be.  I still believe it is the best "regular" specialty restaurant on the O class ships though.  I absolutely love the specialty salts that they bring to you with the bread.  They used to do a whole big presentation with the salts and explain to you where the salts come from but I think they minimize this now.  I found it fascinating.  Whatever.

I have done the Chef's Table a number of times and so we don't do it anymore but it's a fun and LONG event with lots of courses and wine pairings.  If you're into presentation, this will be a treat.  I strongly recommend that everyone does a Chef's Table once.  Even if it's not on this next cruise for you, think about doing it at some point.

Something that I don't think most people realize....if you are dining at 150 and decide that what you REALLY want is some mushroom soup from Chop's (and I ALWAYS think this...no matter what restaurant or meal I am at !), just ask and they will bring you a bowl of mushroom soup from Chops !  The last time we were at 150, we got mushroom soup appetizers and red velvet cake for dessert, neither of which are on the 150 menu !  I've never been bold enough to ask for an entree from a different restaurant...not sure how that would go over, but my guess is, they would get it for you.

While I have never gotten it, I have heard that the room service burger is very good and if you are going to be on Symphony (your post didn't mention which O class ship you are on), I hear that the Playmaker's burger is very good.  Just to show you what a gourmet I am, I actually think the Windjammer burger is pretty good.  Go figure.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I've never been bold enough to ask for an entree from a different restaurant...not sure how that would go over, but my guess is, they would get it for you.

On Freedom, I don't remember which we were in, Chops or Giovanni's, and it was on Lobster night, my wife ordered her entree and then asked for a lobster tail, the waiter hesitated but then I looked at the head waiter and he came over and we repeated the request and he said no problem. So @WAAAYTOOO , it guess it would depend who and how you ask.

We just didn't do this on a whim, we had asked earlier in the day if it was possible and were told yes.

44 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Up front a word of warning:  The MDR steak is NOT equivalent to a Chop's filet.  I'm not a huge steak fan but I had the MDR steak once and NEVER again.  It was awful.  So if you're REALLY in the mood for a good steak at least once on your cruise, I highly recommend that you do NOT depend on the one in the MDR to be it !

IMO the best steak (unless you're in a full suite and can take advantage of the one in the Coastal Kitchen, which is excellent !) is actually at Jaimie's.  The second best is in Chop's.  I don't think we've ever tried the steak-for-2 at 150 but I've heard others who have gotten it and enjoyed it.

150 is not the restaurant it used to be, IMO.  When 150 Central Park was new to the fleet it was what Wonderland tried to become (I am NOT a fan of Wonderland) - a whimsical dining adventure.  There were multiple courses and it was an adventurous but tasty menu.  I still enjoy 150...but it's not what it used to be.  I still believe it is the best "regular" specialty restaurant on the O class ships though.  I absolutely love the specialty salts that they bring to you with the bread.  They used to do a whole big presentation with the salts and explain to you where the salts come from but I think they minimize this now.  I found it fascinating.  Whatever.

I have done the Chef's Table a number of times and so we don't do it anymore but it's a fun and LONG event with lots of courses and wine pairings.  If you're into presentation, this will be a treat.  I strongly recommend that everyone does a Chef's Table once.  Even if it's not on this next cruise for you, think about doing it at some point.

Something that I don't think most people realize....if you are dining at 150 and decide that what you REALLY want is some mushroom soup from Chop's (and I ALWAYS think this...no matter what restaurant or meal I am at !), just ask and they will bring you a bowl of mushroom soup from Chops !  The last time we were at 150, we got mushroom soup appetizers and red velvet cake for dessert, neither of which are on the 150 menu !  I've never been bold enough to ask for an entree from a different restaurant...not sure how that would go over, but my guess is, they would get it for you.

While I have never gotten it, I have heard that the room service burger is very good and if you are going to be on Symphony (your post didn't mention which O class ship you are on), I hear that the Playmaker's burger is very good.  Just to show you what a gourmet I am, I actually think the Windjammer burger is pretty good.  Go figure.

Thanks for the feedback and thoughtful reply about 150 CP. 

I was planning to get the Chops Filet in the MDR for the additional charge. Is that the filet that you said wasn't good? i figured that the MDR filet would not be as good as that one but that if it was from Chops it would be the one they serve there. . They don't have Jaimie's on Allure unfortunately.

I don't know if I would have the nerve to ask for an entree from a different restaurant, but if we don't make it to Chops, maybe I'll ask for the tater tots from Chops which look really good to me. 

I forgot to mention we are on Allure. I wish we were going to be on Symphony because I might eat every night at Hooked, that menu looks great, and Playmakers as well. 

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

150 Central Park, the Sea scallops and short ribs are good, but my best is the Tenderloin for 2, very well prepared and great flovor.

Chefs Table, I have not done it yet, but will be dinning in January when I'm on Allure, pinging @JLMoran for his feedback, but I would say if you like a 5-6 course meal specially prepared for you with matching wines, then it is for you. I'm not even a wine drinker and I'm going to give it a chance. Yes, in October on Freedom, they were walking around the ship and giving discounts if you tired the Chef's table, we were going to but didn't have an open night.

Hamburger, I wouldn't have this insight until I tried one on Freedom, but the hamburger that you get in Chops on the Lunch menu is amazing, best hamburger I have had on any cruise ship.

Don't discount Chops to much, what I have figured out is that you have to know what to order, as an example, I'm from the Midwest, so when I get a steak and baked potato I usually get a russet potato, from Chops I got a Yukon Gold, so it was a little off, but the Mac and cheese is good as well as the mushrooms. Some people like the special tots they have but I don't, but they will bring you all of the side dishes you want, if you want to try them all.

Jamie's is also very, very good. Have not done Wonderland so have no input. Izumi Hibachi is also very, very good, I assume you know what you get there, but you can also order sushi as an appetizer at the Hibachi grill.

On another thread you asked about lobster night, it has been the second formal night of the cruise recently. 

Thanks! I don't want to discount Chops, I love a good steak house but i have just been surprised at how many people I have heard say that they were disappointed about Chops overall. That doesn't always stop me ? 

Thanks for the info on Lobster night. That's kind of what I thought but I was curious to know if it ever changed. I know things are always subject to change.

Maybe we will just take our chances and see if they are offering any kind of discount for Chef's Table. It sounds like a cool experience. We went to a farm to table restaurant for a "bring me food" experience, where they gave a list of ingredients they were using for the night and then brought us different dishes with wine pairings and we enjoyed that, so maybe this will be a good choice for us)

2 hours ago, irishgirl0525 said:

I have only just started looking at Chef's Table but the cover charge gives me pause.  Is it absolutely amazing? I don't want to waste an opportunity to try something that is a must eat. 

I also don't know if I want to add $200 to our bill, we are already getting pre-cruise purchase items like the drink package and you know how it all adds up! I have seen on another board that some people have gotten a discount to Chef's Table while on board, what is the likelihood of that happening?

2 hours ago, irishgirl0525 said:

I originally thought we would do Chops, but based on reviews I have heard, I'm thinking I'll just get the Chops filet in the dining room to get my tenderloin fix.

If you want a really, really, really good filet -- then you will absolutely want to do Chef's Table, and kill two birds with one stone. I didn't have it, but @ellcee did when she went to CT on Anthem; she said it was the best filet ever, and even better than Chops (which she'd had just the day before). The rest of the food is equally awesome, IMO, and you're getting some really good wines with the meal. It's also very much a social experience, between talking with your table-mates, learning about the meal first-hand from the chef, and learning about the wines from your sommelier.

Yes, Chef's Table is pricey when you buy it on the Cruise Planner, but if you're OK with going to it on day 1 and not buying the seat for it until you're on board, you should likely score a discount for that night from the specialty dining folks who will be hawking specials the whole day. That said, I paid full price as I didn't want to miss MDR and meeting our table-mates on night 1, and I felt the meal and wines were worth every penny I'd paid and then some. If I'd gone to NYC for that meal I'd have been out more than double what I'd paid in the Cruise Planner. If I'd gone to a restaurant in Morristown or Montclair that was on par with NYC, I'd still have paid a lot more.

And keep in mind that if you pay full price, you can expect to be able to have as many glasses of wine as you like; from what I've read here, you do not get that perk if you buy the meal at a discount on Day 1. So while it says you get 5 glasses of wine in the description, you can easily have several more than that. I want to say I had more like 8 or 9 glasses by the time it was all said and done, and they don't do light pours either. If five glasses of wine is your limit, then no reason not to grab a discount if it's offered.

The only other specialty dining venue I've been to so far is Wonderland. I happened to like it, but it wasn't a blow-my-socks-off experience the way Chef's Table was. You definitely need to be a seafood lover, given how many of the appetizers are seafood-based. It's good for a one-time experience, but after that I'd spend my money on other specialty dining venues.

35 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

If you want a really, really, really good filet -- then you will absolutely want to do Chef's Table, and kill two birds with one stone. I didn't have it, but @ellcee did when she went to CT on Anthem; she said it was the best filet ever, and even better than Chops (which she'd had just the day before). The rest of the food is equally awesome, IMO, and you're getting some really good wines with the meal. It's also very much a social experience, between talking with your table-mates, learning about the meal first-hand from the chef, and learning about the wines from your sommelier.

Yes this all sounds good, though I didn't realize that they always have a filet on the menu, at least I didnt' see it on a sample menu. But that's great to know.

35 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Yes, Chef's Table is pricey when you buy it on the Cruise Planner, but if you're OK with going to it on day 1 and not buying the seat for it until you're on board, you should likely score a discount for that night from the specialty dining folks who will be hawking specials the whole day. That said, I paid full price as I didn't want to miss MDR and meeting our table-mates on night 1, and I felt the meal and wines were worth every penny I'd paid and then some.    

If I'd gone to NYC for that meal I'd have been out more than double what I'd paid in the Cruise Planner. If I'd gone to a restaurant in Morristown or Montclair that was on par with NYC, I'd still have paid a lot more.

Ah a fellow North Jerseyan! I live in central NJ but work near Morristown and I see your point.  Have you been to 90 Acres? We did their "Bring Me Food" tasting menu for our anniversary earlier this year and yes, it was definitely pricier than Chef's table.

To your point about the MDR on night 1, I also don't want to miss out on meeting our table mates on the first night, it's one of my favorite parts of cruising.  I may just wait until after Christmas to book, right now all of the nights are available.

And keep in mind that if you pay full price, you can expect to be able to have as many glasses of wine as you like; from what I've read here, you do not get that perk if you buy the meal at a discount on Day 1. So while it says you get 5 glasses of wine in the description, you can easily have several more than that. I want to say I had more like 8 or 9 glasses by the time it was all said and done, and they don't do light pours either. If five glasses of wine is your limit, then no reason not to grab a discount if it's offered.

The only other specialty dining venue I've been to so far is Wonderland. I happened to like it, but it wasn't a blow-my-socks-off experience the way Chef's Table was. You definitely need to be a seafood lover, given how many of the appetizers are seafood-based. It's good for a one-time experience, but after that I'd spend my money on other specialty dining venues.  

I can definitely do more than 5 glasses of wine (and hopefully feel ok the next day) but then we also have the Deluxe drink package which may not get any use that night so then is it worth it, especially if we are just tired of drinking later in the week. I keep going back and forth on this but for now, we have the deluxe drink package and we'll probably keep it that way and decide if we need it in the future or not. We can drink our fair share but I'm not sure if we can for 7 days in a row.

Thanks so much for this info, this helps a lot.

Just now, irishgirl0525 said:

I didn't realize that they always have a filet on the menu, at least I didnt' see it on a sample menu. But that's great to know.

The menu seems to be standard fleet-wide, with minor variations based on what the chef chooses to do with a given course's preparation and whether a given seating has a significant number of repeat guests -- One the live blogs on the main site, by Ric, noted how he and several others who did Chef's Table on night 1 with a discount then went back for a second time (due to an even better discount that was offered); because there were so many returning guests, the chef altered the menu so that they didn't get the exact same menu a second time.

The menu does get updated every so often (annually?), but at least on my April 2018 sailing on Freedom, and @ellcee's / @Broons77's / my October 2018 sailing on Anthem, it was the same menu with slight differences in preparation and presentation. And the wine pairings for all 3 of us were fairly different, which itself made for some interesting conversations between us about the merits of the wines and whether one pairing worked better than another.

4 minutes ago, irishgirl0525 said:

I may just wait until after Christmas to book, right now all of the nights are available.

Chef's Table is definitely not something that fills up, even after embarkation. Each night they can accommodate up to It think 18 or 20 guests, and I've yet to hear of a fully-booked seating. My own seating on Freedom was only 9 people (I went solo), and I think @ellcee and @Broons77 were only a few more than that on each of their times. You can most likely wait until the cutoff date with Cruise Planner (3 days before embarkation) and still have your pick of the days.

7 minutes ago, irishgirl0525 said:

I can definitely do more than 5 glasses of wine (and hopefully feel ok the next day) but then we also have the Deluxe drink package which may not get any use that night so then is it worth it, especially if we are just tired of drinking later in the week. I keep going back and forth on this but for now, we have the deluxe drink package and we'll probably keep it that way and decide if we need it in the future or not. We can drink our fair share but I'm not sure if we can for 7 days in a row.

Drink fatigue is real. The better a price you can get for the Deluxe package, the easier it is to "break even" across the trip and not feel like you need to be having a "party like it's 1999" day every day. If you think that bringing your allowed two bottles of wine would be enough, at least with MDR dinner drinks, to cut down the amount of drinking you'd be paying a la carte to less than the daily package cost, consider skipping the Deluxe package and just get Refreshment packages instead. Then you have all the non-alcoholic stuff covered and you can get alcohol as / when / where you want it.

Run, don't walk, to Chef's Table for the tenderloin (assuming it's on the menu on your sailing).  I enjoyed that more than my ribeye at Chops and the ribeye was out of this world.

Agree with the multiple tips from people to book it on board when the discounts are offered.  As @JLMoran said, I haven't heard of an entire sailing of CT filling up.

Bon appetit and bon voyage!

I wish I could do 150 but as I travel with a vegetarian it’s not really an option as the current menu only shows one so called option for a vegetarian, a piece of cauliflower. For sure not worth the cover charge for some cauliflower. 

Would love to try it so hopefully they get a better menu soon with more options for vegetarians. 

But if anyone has experience lately eating there as a vegetarian please feel free to share, maybe I’m missing something. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Sh2738 said:

I wish I could do 150 but as I travel with a vegetarian it’s not really an option as the current menu only shows one so called option for a vegetarian, a piece of cauliflower. For sure not worth the cover charge for some cauliflower. 

Would love to try it so hopefully they get a better menu soon with more options for vegetarians. 

But if anyone has experience lately eating there as a vegetarian please feel free to share, maybe I’m missing something. Thanks 

I thought the same thing when I saw that cauliflower "steak". Give me a break. I know a lot can be done with cauliflower, but let's not get carried away. We're not idiots.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

@ellcee@Broons77

@ellcee@Broons77

Drink fatigue is real. The better a price you can get for the Deluxe package, the easier it is to "break even" across the trip and not feel like you need to be having a "party like it's 1999" day every day. If you think that bringing your allowed two bottles of wine would be enough, at least with MDR dinner drinks, to cut down the amount of drinking you'd be paying a la carte to less than the daily package cost, consider skipping the Deluxe package and just get Refreshment packages instead. Then you have all the non-alcoholic stuff covered and you can get alcohol as / when / where you want it.

I got it for $52/day. I had hoped to find it for lower but that's the lowest I've seen so far so at least I've got the best price as far as I know.

We were just talking about this because my husband listened to the podcast about the drink package yesterday and is it worth it for us. It could be but we are pretty sure that drink fatigue will hit us, hopefully not too early in the week. 

I didn't know how to delete those tags up there so they are just hanging out, sorry.

56 minutes ago, irishgirl0525 said:

I thought the same thing when I saw that cauliflower "steak". Give me a break. I know a lot can be done with cauliflower, but let's not get carried away. We're not idiots.

Yea I mean no way am I paying 30 or so for a piece of cauliflower. That’s not a meal. 

11 hours ago, irishgirl0525 said:

I got it for $52/day. I had hoped to find it for lower but that's the lowest I've seen so far so at least I've got the best price as far as I know.

Yeah, the packages are definitely being priced appreciably higher for 2019 than they were for 2018. $42/day seemed to be the best sale price for most 2018 cruises, but I'm not seeing anyone who's reported less than $52/day for a 2019 sailing. The good news is that it "only" translates to one more cocktail, or a couple of beers, per day if you typically drink the same amount most days; if you're like most vacationers and do most of your "celebratory imbibing" on embarkation day, you may find that it's enough to make the Chefs Table day and port days more manageable. Here's a quick, rough example of a way to easily hit $52 on a sea day:

• Grande cappuccino / latte / espresso with breakfast, and one more in the afternoon: $8
  • 1 "lighter" cocktail (e.g., mojito or one of the sake-based drinks in Izumi, where the alcohol / calorie content isn't crazy) around lunch time, or a sail-away beverage on port days: $13
  • 2 glasses of wine with dinner: $26 (bearing in mind that most decent / good wines will have you going over the $13 per-drink limit by a few bucks)
  • 1 beer at the pub while watching the evening entertainer: $6-7

Total for the above is $53-54, and in my view not an unreasonable or difficult "target" on a daily basis. Throw in a fresh-squeezed OJ with breakfast, and there's another couple of bucks shaved off, which would let you replace a cocktail with a more-manageable beer or two.

You definitely don't have to drink like a frat boy on hazing night to break even or keep up.

Just now, JLMoran said:

Yeah, the packages are definitely being priced appreciably higher for 2019 than they were for 2018. $42/day seemed to be the best sale price for most 2018 cruises, but I'm not seeing anyone who's reported less than $52/day for a 2019 sailing. The good news is that it "only" translates to one more cocktail, or a couple of beers, per day if you typically drink the same amount most days; if you're like most vacationers and do most of your "celebratory imbibing" on embarkation day, you may find that it's enough to make the Chefs Table day and port days more manageable. Here's a quick, rough example of a way to easily hit $52 on a sea day:

• Grande cappuccino / latte / espresso with breakfast, and one more in the afternoon: $8
  • 1 "lighter" cocktail (e.g., mojito or one of the sake-based drinks in Izumi, where the alcohol / calorie content isn't crazy) around lunch time, or a sail-away beverage on port days: $13
  • 2 glasses of wine with dinner: $26 (bearing in mind that most decent / good wines will have you going over the $13 per-drink limit by a few bucks)
  • 1 beer at the pub while watching the evening entertainer: $6-7

Total for the above is $53-54, and in my view not an unreasonable or difficult "target" on a daily basis. Throw in a fresh-squeezed OJ with breakfast, and there's another couple of bucks shaved off, which would let you replace a cocktail with a more-manageable beer or two.

You definitely don't have to drink like a frat boy on hazing night to break even or keep up.

Yea the prices are staying high for 2019. I have a Nov 2019 sailing on Symphony but luckily I was able to get 49 for Black Friday but haven’t seen it any lower and it probably won’t go lower than that. Back at 52 now. 

Just now, Sh2738 said:

Yea the prices are staying high for 2019. I have a Nov 2019 sailing on Symphony but luckily I was able to get 49 for Black Friday but haven’t seen it any lower and it probably won’t go lower than that. Back at 52 now. 

I keep checking since I have seen others say they got it for $42 but I'm guessing it won't change. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Just now, irishgirl0525 said:

I keep checking since I have seen others say they got it for $42 but I'm guessing it won't change. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Yea it really depends on the time of the year for your cruise and which ship. I am doing the brand new Symphony so it’s going to stay high I am guessing. But other ships might drop. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 8:04 PM, Sh2738 said:

We are planning on taking my 16 year old vegetarian on allure in march...hoping we can ask for a pasta dishes.   Even the apps don't have a ton of vegetarian options.   We did the bogo so it was worth changing.  I will try andrea remember to post about our experience!  Jane