Disposable Cup Please...

PG Cruiser

I liked having Peppermint tea several times a day during my recent Serenade cruise.  Cafe Latte-tudes did not have it at first so I got Peppermint tea bags from the free beverage stations and asked for hot water in disposable cups from the baristas at Latte-tudes... no issues.

One night, I asked for a disposable cup from the barista at Park Cafe after presenting my Seapass card to show that I had the Refreshment Package.  He gave me one with much hesitation, even telling me that cups were for those getting coffee from his station.  What was up with that?  From the cost perspective, it would have cost RCCL more if I had asked for coffee instead of an empty cup. I had the drink package, so I could have gotten all the coffee I wanted.  Was this a case of a lack of common sense or was it about some points the crew members get from a point system for the number of guests they served?

My thought would be, he probably didn't understand the request (or why the request) ..... it may be an unusual one for him ..... I wonder if it would've been easier to hand him the tea bag and ask him to put it in a cup of hot water ..... the end result would've been the same --- with potentially less confusion.

6 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

My thought would be, he probably didn't understand the request (or why the request) ..... it may be an unusual one for him ..... I wonder if it would've been easier to hand him the tea bag and ask him to put it in a cup of hot water ..... the end result would've been the same --- with potentially less confusion.

Yes, it could have been that.   

This incident got my attention because from what I know about guest relations, crew members usually try their best to comply with the guests' (reasonable) request. Even if it was against policy, the usual reply would be, "Let me see what I can do about it."   I asked very nicely and respectfully and I felt "scolded" in return.  I guess this Floridian is just used to being asked by Disney cast members, "How can I make your day magical?"  LOL