Royal canceled my reservation!

Scott M

In July of 2017 we were on Oasis with some friends and decided to book Symphony for December 8 (just over a week away).  We did at Next Cruise, both parties booked a balcony, rooms next to each other but different reservation.  In the last few months we have done the typical reservations for entertainment etc., all was good.  A few days ago we had to drop my wife from reservation due to a new job, but my self, and son(7) were still going as well as 2 other cabins of friends on different reservations.  After they dropped my wife, I verified all our reservations, excursions, and all was good.  I did online checkin with me and my son, and printed tags and passes.

This morning I log on to reserve hibachi for the 6 of us, but my cruise doesn't show up.  I wasn't worried, figured it was a glitch, but shot my TA an email anyway.  He responds that Royal canceled our entire reservation some time late yesterday or early this morning!  Thankfully John at MEI travel has been working on it hard today, but the original room is gone.  They had us on deck 3 from a while, and now deck 14, but the rest of our group is on 9.  It is so frustrating because with my wife not joining us, I was counting on our friends helping with our son a little bit so I could go on a morning run etc.  Plus just the logistics of us being spread across the ship and keeping in touch.  Is much easier when you are next door and a couple doors down.  

I just don't see how this can happen, especially since I was checked in, and everything was set to go.  I received notification when my wife was dropped from reservation, but not that it was later canceled.  Anyone have any connections with management that I can complain to?  I am just thankful we have a TA to deal with this, but doubt anyone at RC really cares how this changes the logistics for our party on this cruise.  

Thanks guys, just needed to vent to people who will understand my frustration.

Scott

I have no suggestions except ask for quite a bit of OBC for your hassle and to keep saying no until you are happy with the solution.  I never understand how they can cancel your room but can't cancel the new people in your room who have only been booked in it less than 24 hours.  Good luck and please come back with your outcome.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:59 PM, Scott M said:

In July of 2017 we were on Oasis with some friends and decided to book Symphony for December 8 (just over a week away).  We did at Next Cruise, both parties booked a balcony, rooms next to each other but different reservation.  In the last few months we have done the typical reservations for entertainment etc., all was good.  A few days ago we had to drop my wife from reservation due to a new job, but my self, and son(7) were still going as well as 2 other cabins of friends on different reservations.  After they dropped my wife, I verified all our reservations, excursions, and all was good.  I did online checkin with me and my son, and printed tags and passes.

This morning I log on to reserve hibachi for the 6 of us, but my cruise doesn't show up.  I wasn't worried, figured it was a glitch, but shot my TA an email anyway.  He responds that Royal canceled our entire reservation some time late yesterday or early this morning!  Thankfully John at MEI travel has been working on it hard today, but the original room is gone.  They had us on deck 3 from a while, and now deck 14, but the rest of our group is on 9.  It is so frustrating because with my wife not joining us, I was counting on our friends helping with our son a little bit so I could go on a morning run etc.  Plus just the logistics of us being spread across the ship and keeping in touch.  Is much easier when you are next door and a couple doors down.  

I just don't see how this can happen, especially since I was checked in, and everything was set to go.  I received notification when my wife was dropped from reservation, but not that it was later canceled.  Anyone have any connections with management that I can complain to?  I am just thankful we have a TA to deal with this, but doubt anyone at RC really cares how this changes the logistics for our party on this cruise.  

Thanks guys, just needed to vent to people who will understand my frustration.

Scott

@Scott MScott, do you have any news to report on the cruise? I'm hoping that, it too, was a glitch in the system.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

This happened to me once.  We were going on Allure of the Seas and randomly one day our reservations got cancelled.  Like you, I had my MEI agent on it immediately and they made it so easy on me by fighting with RC to get things fixed. 

@Matt Were you able to keep your originally booked stateroom and cruise planner purchases?

It is fixed, sort of. 

We are in a balcony again, but 4 decks above our traveling party, which since it is just me and my 7 year old, being in neighboring cabins was crucial to a great cruise.

The short version of a complicated story-  We booked a balcony for 3 people on symphony a year and a half ago, as did another party of 2 that we were with, so we booked cabins right next to each other. My wife was a nurse in a clinic at that time and December was best for taking time off.  Fast forward a year and a half and she is now a school nurse so early December just doesn't work for taking a week off.  We held off canceling her until last minute just incase something happened.  My son (7) and I are still going.  Had we dropped her a few months ago we would have only received about $150 back, so waiting wasn't a big gamble, I understood I wouldn't receive anything back for her not going.  Our TA made the arrangements to have her removed, after she was I verified that everything else was correct through the site and did online check-in and printed passes and tags for the 2 of us, all was good last week.  Come Friday I found a Hibachi reservation for 6 (there are 3 parties of 2 together on different reservations) so I went to book it only to find out I had no cabin on the sailing.    I got ahold of our TA right away who went to work on it.  Royal in fact did cancel us completely.  They said we had to be moved to a different category of balcony since there were only 2 of us going (despite the fact we paid for 3) and in the process they admitted to messing up a refund/new charges and showed we hadn't paid for our cruise, so it got canceled without me or TA being made aware.  The ONLY way we figured this out was that I tried to make that dining reservation.  I already had sea pass printed, what if I would have shown up at Miami and then found out the issue?

We have received no compensation of any kind for this mess.  I still feel we should have been able to stay in original room, as we paid for the entire room! It also makes me furious to know we could have show up next Saturday in Miami and had no booking.  I was really counting on friends being next door with an adjoining balcony to help out with my 7 year old so I could go for an early morning run and maybe some other brief times out. 

I just feel there should be some sort of compensation for such a mess a week before cruise when this had been booked for a year and a half.

Scott

Lesson learned, don't ever remove guests from a reservation, just show up without them.  You'll get the portion of taxes and fees refunded for them anyways.

PS - I agree that Royal owes you something.  They moved you in hopes of selling that cabin to 3 other people, double dipping your wife's portion so it's not like they are losing money here, they got paid twice for one guest position.  

Saga continues....

Just went to print a new set of passes and tags, and our cabin was moved again.  This time to 10th deck, but opposite corner from our friends on 9.  Wish they would have just left us in previous cabin, it was a deck below the pool.  What is more frustrating is this newest cabin if classified for 3+ people, which is the whole reason they moved us from our original cabin!

In the grand scheme of life, this doesn't matter one bit, but it has been a frustrating situation. 

Scott

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, Scott M said:

Well, after 3 cabin moves and who knows how many phone calls by our TA, we are back in the original cabin we booked a year and a half ago! 

@Matt is 100% correct when he says use a travel agent, John Ames at MEI really came through on this!

Scott

Scott,    I am so sorry you have gone thru all this!  I have been involved with John trying to fight the silly system that Royal presents us with every once in awhile.  I am so glad that they were able to put you back in the room you had originally.  It was crazy that they would not let you stay there.  I know this has been stressful and while the extra OBC might not make up for that stress, it is at least something from Royal to try and say "oops, we screwed up".   Hope you can move past all this and enjoy your cruise!

I was really worried that something similar would happen to me last Spring Break.  My wife and I were in one room, and my 2 kids and mother were in the connecting room.  My mother had to cancel before final payment.  I was worried that we would be forced to move cabins, but it worked out OK.   Not sure if my travel agent had to pull any strings, or if we just lucked out.  Perhaps they realized that moving 2 minor children out of a connecting cabin would have been a bad idea.

@AnnetteJackson- Thank you!  I didn't know you were assisting also, I appreciate the hard work!  The latest today- all my and my son's entertainment, dining, shore excursions, and my drink package were canceled.  I know John worked on it today, I just worry it will still be a mess when we get on board, but at least we will be on vacation.  Thanks again!

16 hours ago, Scott M said:

@AnnetteJackson- Thank you!  I didn't know you were assisting also, I appreciate the hard work!  The latest today- all my and my son's entertainment, dining, shore excursions, and my drink package were canceled.  I know John worked on it today, I just worry it will still be a mess when we get on board, but at least we will be on vacation.  Thanks again!

We are here for you!  Anytime they cancel a reservation it can create a ripple where the plans get canceled.  Many times we can work it all out before you leave, but when its after the cruise planner is closed before your sailing - it is harder.  We have to trust the ship to follow thru with the plans and add them once you are on board.  If they are not, we can work with the ship.  I really wish they would not make you move rooms due to capacity of the room issues when you are close in.... it never works out for the client.   Its always messy.