Impatiently waiting and plotting

Auto

It seems I have more money than sense and patience, and knowing that the summer 2020 schedule is coming soon, I am concocting a plan...

I floated the idea of a cruise with my wife and I, and her two sisters and their husbands (sans all of our kids) in the not-too-distant future. My wife just rolled her eyes (but didn't say no) and at least one of her sisters is on board (pun intented).  2019 doesn't work, so it would have to be 2020. Also, this aligns with the 5th and 10th anniversaries of my two sisters in law.  We're tied to the summer, and specifically late June/early July due to work and school schedules.

So here's my plan: secretly book a cruise as soon as the announcements are made, and then present the plan as a fait accompli at an opportune time (did I just hear sleigh bells?). I have the cash flow to float the deposits for all three cabins, especially for a 4 or 5 night cruise, which would probably work best for all involved. Make refundable deposits, and no down side, right? I mean, other than my wife will probably kill me for not talking to her. Then she'll cool off, bring me back to life, and enjoy the cruise.

My question is then, which ship/itinerary would you recommend, especially since neither of the sisters has cruised before? We'll be coming from the midwest, so no port is all that more easily reached than another.

Being on these boards is such a bad influence...

Navigator is also supposed to get the bells and whistles.  A Freedom class is great as it is a good size but not too big and Independence is currently doing 5 night cruises.  This summer Symphony is doing some 3 and 4 night cruises.  I wonder if an Oasis class will continue that into 2020.  

I don't think you can go wrong with any Amped ship.  Allure, Freedom and Explorer will be Amped in 2020 but if you can book a Amped ship prior to new features being released to the public, you can get an even better deal.  Just thinking Oasis prices right now are a good deal but once they announce its new features, I believe the pricing will go up.

Just now, Baked Alaska said:

I have not seen refundable deposits being offered lately. Probably can still get via TA, non suite?

I just did a mock booking on Harmony.  You see the refundable deposit option after you fill in guest names.  It said, "add refundable option for $xxx".  Kind of a pain to go all the way to add in names before you see this.  I would also suggest a TA as it would be easiest to book.

Just now, Matt said:

You can never go wrong with Oasis class

I beg to differ, and not just because I'm the Oasis Denier. If the OP's sisters have never cruised before, Oasis class could be overwhelming. I'm going to second the vote for Mariner, since that is already doing 4-night sailings, or one of the Freedom-class ships that have been AMPED. Freedom is plenty big for a first-timer (I should know! And seems @Ray's wife feels that way, too ?), with more than enough to do and enjoy.

31 minutes ago, Cez said:

You can add refundable as an option at the end of booking process.

I may or may not have experimented with this a time or 20 as I developed my plan

29 minutes ago, melski94 said:

Independence is currently doing 5 night cruises.

That is one that caught my eye

2 hours ago, Auto said:

I may or may not have experimented with this a time or 20 as I developed my plan

That is one that caught my eye

Auto ,Problem is Indy doesn't do 4-5 nighters in the summer. It moves back to Europe during the summer. 4-5 nighters in the summer is so hard to find. You will be limited to 4 nights on Marner, 4 Nights on Navigator, or sometimes Adventure does a 6 night Canada out of NJ.. I know Anthem won't be here but you can't go wrong with Mariner or Navigator both will have awesome upgrades. 

2 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

Problem is Indy doesn't do 4-5 nighters in the summer. It moves back to Europe during the summer. 4-5 nighters in the summer is so hard to find. 

Just looking at this year's schedule of June/July 4-5 night sailings, there are sailings on Mariner, Navigator, Enchantment, Grandeur and Anthem. That narrows down your choices!

The short Caribbean sailings have been released...Looks like Navigator out of Miami or Mariner out of Port Canaveral. Thoughts on either? Prices are within $10 of each other per person.

Last night I did some mock bookings and refundable deposits were going to cost about $600/room. Today, since the "sale" is over, it is only $80/room. Overall price (NRD) is exactly the same with or with out the 60% BOGO NRD offer.

36 minutes ago, Auto said:

The short Caribbean sailings have been released...Looks like Navigator out of Miami or Mariner out of Port Canaveral. Thoughts on either? Prices are within $10 of each other per person.

Once Navigator is AMPED in January that's going to be a tough call.  At this point the safe bet is Mariner simply because it's been AMPED already.  Once we see Navigator AMPED that is subject to change.

7 hours ago, Auto said:

Last night I did some mock bookings and refundable deposits were going to cost about $600/room. Today, since the "sale" is over, it is only $80/room. Overall price (NRD) is exactly the same with or with out the 60% BOGO NRD offer.

In addition to what @twangster said, I'd put more of an emphasis on which port is easier to get to.  Port Canaveral/Orlando is much easier for me since I live in Orlando, but I'd also wager Orlando is cheaper to fly to for most people as well.

3 hours ago, Auto said:

Just checked airlines, and that is a fact, plus non-stop flights

For that reason alone, I'd book the Port Canaveral sailing.

Granted, you could fly to Orlando and rent a car to Miami. Might still be cheaper than flying.