Toddler on an Alaska Cruise

So it's been a long time coming and our family has finally decided to take a cruise to Alaska next summer.  Our growing family may have waited too long for this trip because now there is toddler in the mix!  She'll be 2 1/2 at the time and since her mom and dad plan on going with all of their trusted family members, there are no real good options on leaving her behind.  Some feel this is going to put a real damper on the trip.   I'm interested in what everyone's honest opinion is on taking her with us.  Will she be able to handle the shore excursions?  I don't know if there is a kids' club for that young on Radiance so we'll likely need to take turns staying behind.  I'm excited to have that bundle of joy with me anytime I can, but I don't want to be naive about her impact.  Thanks for any insight or pointers!

My guess is that you will probably have to leave her behind for shore excursions but you could take turns and still make it a great trip. I don’t know how many family members are going but the sea days and nights where everyone is together should be a great vacation. And yes some people will miss some excursions but you can still find a way to make it a good trip even if not every thing is ideal 

Radiance does have a nursery. We took a 1 year old and thought it would be crazy to leave them at the nursery while we got off the ship. After a couple of days though, we saw how well he was taken care of and we did a beach trip without the kids 1 day. They were all happy to go to adventure ocean and hang out with their friends. 

We did a DCL Alaska cruise about 6 1/2 years ago with our son who is now 9 - so he was a few months shy of three when we went. He did everything we did, although we did avail ourselves of the nursery a few times so we could have some grown up time. He went on the train in Skagway, rode around Juneau with us and then stayed on the ship in the Nursery for Ketchican. It all depends on what you want to do. I would have zero reservations in taking along your toddler.

This may sound awful - but Ketchikan was my least favorite port for excursions so if you have to volunteer to stay behind then I would opt for Ketchikan.  Or bring a stroller. all of the ports had places where you can get off the ship and walk around. As someone else mentioned - I think a toddler can definitely do the train ride in Skagway and will probably enjoy it. Junuea woudl be good to take them to Mendenhall Glacier and up on the lift. 

As an aside - I think it's all about expectations - if you think the toddler will ruin the cruise, they will. If you go in knowing that you may have to make some adjustments along the way and that your disappointments are divine appointments, then all will go well! I would not hesitate to take my grandkidsr if it meant being with them for a week on a cruise. I'm taking mine (3 and 2) to Bermuda next summer ?  

Wanted to add  that I always volunteer to take them at nap time so pe-pop can take a nap, too ?

We are taking a family group cruise to Alaska on Ovation next summer that will include our grandson. He will be 2-3/4 years at that time.  We know there will be a few adjustments but think having him and our son/daughter-in-law there to share the amazing things that an Alaska cruise offers is way more important.  We plan to use the nursery, take turns watching him, and hopefully take him with us on some port activities.  Our strategy will be to have flexible plans in each port based on how he is feeling/acting.  For example, we can certainly explore the town on foot with him in a stroller, stop for lunch, etc.  Or we may take a taxi or Uber to explore some pre-determined attractions if we think he is having a good day.  Good luck!

We were on the Radiance this summer and saw many smaller kids on all of our excursions.  I would bring a umbrella stroller enjoy Alaska!  We did whale watching, boat ride to see eagles, Mendenhall glacier (easy walkable with a stroller) and many other things.  Just maybe pack some prepackaged snacks and water for the little one.

We did an extended family cruise to Alaska on Explorer in August.  Our youngest was 2 and 3 months and was not a damper at all!  Some things we learned before and experienced on the ship that may help manage expectations.  1. No Nursery on Explorer so babysitting was not an option, I read above that Radiance does have it though so you are already better off!  2. No pool allowed unless fully potty trained so don't show up expecting to use the pool if they are still in diapers. 3. An umbrella stroller is a must, our large one would have been a real pain and take up lots of space in the elevator etc.  Get a reasonable umbrella stroller if you don't have one, it's worth it!  Even the odd time when he fell asleep we could just go about our day with him sound asleep in it.  We got one that reclined a bit and were happy with it.  4. We didn't miss the entertainment on his behalf.  He was happy to come and enjoyed the lights and music.  We made a point of sitting back row in case but only had to get up and go once.  As long as you're respectful of others enjoyment of the show I think nobody is upset that a toddler is there.  Depending on how much family is with you they can sit in the middle of the larger group! 5. Early supper time was great and the waiters always brought food right away for the little guy to help stay happy. 6. You specifically asked about excursions so here's what we did!  We did bring him along and he did great.  Just be mindful of what you book and if there's one you really don't want to miss that a toddler can't join on you may have to make other arrangements.  We did whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and the Train and Sled Dogs in Skagway and both were good for toddlers.  Another bonus is our 2 year old was free of charge on both excursions so if paying for something they won't remember is a deterrent it shouldn't be and they enjoy the moments! 7. Have fun, Alaska was an awesome trip!  An aside is I have been reading these boards for months now and just decided to jump in and comment as we had a 2 year old in Alaska recently!  Everyone is very informative and just reading the boards without asking questions helped us tons!