Ultimate Dining Package - Math is hard

marti314

The price shown (in this case, $199) does NOT include the grat.  My guess is that they are counting all of the potential meals that would be included in the UDP,  meaning all lunches on sea days...but even then the math isn't right.  It should come out to an even number (199/24).  No clue what's going on here !  Looks like the price per meal has gone up and the advertisement hasn't been updated.  

Gratuity / service charge is always included in every Speciality dining reservation and plan.  

Looks like a 20% increase in the price is all i am seeing where the total price is updated (yes its 199 if you add it to the cart) and the banner is still the old price.  

10 minutes ago, Susie said:

I thought UDP price shown includes gratuity. You pay that price and you just go to special dinning restaurant everynight but no need to pay extra gratuity except you want to. Confuse now????? Do I wrong???

You are right, every specialty restaurant cost you see includes the gratuity.  Same with the packages.  You never HAVE to pay more unless you opt to.

2 hours ago, marti314 said:

2 hours ago, marti314 said:

Gratuity / service charge is always included in every Speciality dining reservation and plan.  

Looks like a 20% increase in the price is all i am seeing where the total price is updated (yes its 199 if you add it to the cart) and the banner is still the old price.  

Yep.  I confused myself.  Drink packages do not include the grat up front but the dining packages do.  Sorry for the false flag.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yep.  I confused myself.  Drink packages do not include the grat up front but the dining packages do.  Sorry for the false flag.

Actually, the drink packages also include 18% gratuities up front, including the soda package we just bought for our boys for our upcoming cruise.

23 minutes ago, tdcackler said:

Actually, the drink packages also include 18% gratuities up front, including the soda package we just bought for our boys for our upcoming cruise.

To clarify -- the prices listed for dining packages before adding them to your cart already have gratuity included. Drink packages, on the other hand, only show the base per-day rate without any gratuity until after you add them to your cart; when you go to check out, the gratuity is then calculated and the final total for those package purchases is shown before you give your credit card info.

I don't really get why Royal doesn't just show the drink package price with the gratuity tacked on up front like they do for the dining packages. Yes, the price you see before throwing it in your cart will be higher, but at least when you go to check out you won't have that head-scratching moment wondering why the price suddenly jacked up by maybe a hundred dollars, depending on how many packages you bought.

My first post on here! Woohoo! Mind you, I can't find a photo small enough to upload. 

I just booked a UDP for Spectrum next May at $250 for 14 nights. I'm really pleased with that. The only thing is I don't know which restaurants they will have on there yet. Dying to find out.

Its quite simple, the cost for for the UDP for Symphony and Harmony was 29 $ per day ,I guess RC decided that all OASIS ships will be the same so 29*7 is 203 ,but 200 dose not looks good therefore 199 ... Only one hundred and not  two ?

Now , while its very easy to change the price in the system   - change is being made in the product catalog or some pricing reference tables and just waiting for the next automatic update,  the picture change (where you see the 24 $) is much more complicate :

First the marketing need to approach the IT to change it , IT will tell marketing its a design change so it should go to another division, the other division will send it to the graphic department which will reject the request since they just had a downsizing and the person who was in charge on pricing pictures was  fired a  week before.  After some discussion they will decide to take a contractor for this work , it will be the same person that was just fired but now he will be hire as contractor paying him 200% of his previous  salary. He will do his job and change the picture pricing to 29 PP. The picture will be sent to marketing branding group for approval , the person that need to approve it will reject it saying the price Icon is too red which contradict the new brand color pallet which changed  few days ago (actually, no much changed done but its a good for job security for such divisions). The graphic department will get back the picture, they will hold it for three days and send back the same exact picture , this time the brand group will approve it. Next marketing will send it to IT to upload to the site , IT will try to upload it on the next maintenance window just to see they do not have enough disk space as someone forgot to compress the picture , as the maintenance window will already pass it will wait for the next one. On the next window it will be uploaded and everyone will be happy , the only problem will be  once when people go to the site they will still see the 24 $ picture , yes , someone forgot to refresh the cache , oh well it can wait for another window. when it finally it will be fixed , RC will find out a drop in UDP purchasing and ask to rollback the change. 

So now you see , why its 199 in the price and still 24 in the picture ?   

4 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Its quite simple, the cost for for the UDP for Symphony and Harmony was 29 $ per day ,I guess RC decided that all OASIS ships will be the same so 29*7 is 203 ,but 200 dose not looks good therefore 199 ... Only one hundred and not  two ?

Now , while its very easy to change the price in the system   - change is being made in the product catalog or some pricing reference tables and just waiting for the next automatic update,  the picture change (where you see the 24 $) is much more complicate :

First the marketing need to approach the IT to change it , IT will tell marketing its a design change so it should go to another division, the other division will send it to the graphic department which will reject the request since they just had a downsizing and the person who was in charge on pricing pictures was  fired a  week before.  After some discussion they will decide to take a contractor for this work , it will be the same person that was just fired but now he will be hire as contractor paying him 200% of his previous  salary. He will do his job and change the picture pricing to 29 PP. The picture will be sent to marketing branding group for approval , the person that need to approve it will reject it saying the price Icon is too red which contradict the new brand color pallet which changed  few days ago (actually, no much changed done but its a good for job security for such divisions). The graphic department will get back the picture, they will hold it for three days and send back the same exact picture , this time the brand group will approve it. Next marketing will send it to IT to upload to the site , IT will try to upload it on the next maintenance window just to see they do not have enough disk space as someone forgot to compress the picture , as the maintenance window will already pass it will wait for the next one. On the next window it will be uploaded and everyone will be happy , the only problem will be  once when people go to the site they will still see the 24 $ picture , yes , someone forgot to refresh the cache , oh well it can wait for another window. when it finally it will be fixed , RC will find out a drop in UDP purchasing and ask to rollback the change. 

? :42_confused: ? ? LOL

22 hours ago, JLMoran said:

To clarify -- the prices listed for dining packages before adding them to your cart already have gratuity included. Drink packages, on the other hand, only show the base per-day rate without any gratuity until after you add them to your cart; when you go to check out, the gratuity is then calculated and the final total for those package purchases is shown before you give your credit card info.

I don't really get why Royal doesn't just show the drink package price with the gratuity tacked on up front like they do for the dining packages. Yes, the price you see before throwing it in your cart will be higher, but at least when you go to check out you won't have that head-scratching moment wondering why the price suddenly jacked up by maybe a hundred dollars, depending on how many packages you bought.

IMHO: I not sure but this what I think. Everyone has to dine somewhere and they already collect the gratuity from everyone. Basically, we already paid for the food on the ship but if we want something special than what is included with the fare then we need to pay extra for the food.

FOR THE DRINK PACKAGES:  Since I cruised with RCI, RCI had never included the drinks with the fare which they offer on the packages except for soda and juices in MDR but that was10+ years. ago. 

23 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Thanks for clarifying and I agree. You are charged at check out the gratuity but the initial price in your Cruise Planner does not include the 18%.

And yes, I wish that they were a little more "transparent" on the pricing of, well, everything. It would save a lot of confusion when they do offer a sale on a product.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:49 PM, Traveler said:

I sure am glad they do not have the same people running the actual ships as they do their IT / Marketing.  

8 hours ago, marti314 said:

I sure am glad they do not have the same people running the actual ships as they do their IT / Marketing.  

Oh wow , if IT were managing the ships -  here are some of the things that might happened :

• You will wake up at the morning and see that half of the ship is missing , they might return after few days
  • Every day you will arrive to a random port.
  • Your room will move every hour to another deck.
  • The ship will look as if someone forgot to send the plan to a designer and it went directly to the shipyard for construct 
  • Every now and then you will not be able to get into your cabin and the cabin attended will advise you to go around the running track 4 times, try another shirt and clean you pockets before trying again , it might work , if not try tomorrow.
  • Many venues that everyone liked will not be there anymore and the crew will try to convince you its better . 

I