Royal Caribbean is planning a spending spree to upgrade its fleet of cruise ships over the next three years to help keeps its older ships competitive in the cruise market.
This $300 million revitalization called "Royal Advantage", will allow most of its Vision, Voyager and Radiance class vessels to get a series of upgrades including
- Restaurants from Oasis Class of ships
- Chops Grille steakhouse
- Rita's Cantina Mexican restaurants
- Izumi Restaurant (sushi)
- Chops Grille (Steak house)
- Park Café (sandwiches and salads)
- Boardwalk Doghouse (brats and wieners)
- New cabin designs
- Royal Babies and Tots Nursery
- Wi-fi throughout ship
- Digital Wayfinding Systems
- Oversized LED video screens on pool decks
There's more planned but no details are available quite yet. These changes sound quite similar to the changes that have already been made to ships such as Radiance of the Seas mostly recently.
These overhauls will require each ship to enter into a lengthy drydock process where the ship will get its upgrades. The schedule of upgrades are as follows
- Splendour of the Seas - November 2011
- Rhapsody of the Seas - March 2012
- Grandeur of the Seas - May 2012
- Serenade of the Seas - November 2012
- Legend of the Seas - 2013 or 2014
- Vision of the Seas - 2013 or 2014
- Navigator of the Seas - 2013 or 2014
- Voyager of the Seas - 2013 or 2014
- Explorer of the Seas - 2013 or 2014
- Adventure of the Seas - 2013 or 2014
- Brilliance of the Seas - 2013 or 2014
We know that the overhaul for Splendour, Grandeur and Serenade of the Seas will take place in Cadiz, Spain after Royal Caribbean signed a deal to have those ships rehauled there last month.
Royal Caribbean also mentioned that Independence of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas and Enchantment of the Seas will receive smaller, less significant upgrades.
Royal Caribbean CEO Adam Goldstein is excited about the changes that will help keep the cruise line competitive, "The Royal Advantage revitalizations takes many of the best features that we have created in recent years and introduces them across our fleet, offering our guests enhanced vacation choices around the world."