On Wednesday morning, representatives from Royal Caribbean met with officials from the Brazilian state of Alagoas to discuss a possible cruise terminal in the state capital.
The visit aimed to examine the possibility of sending Royal Caribbean ships to Alagoas, and consider the application of investment for building a passenger terminal.
According to Danielle Novis, Secretary of State for Tourism, Royal Caribbean does work with the authorities, public and private, to promote the port infrastructure for the development of tourism in several states.
Also according to Danielle Novis, other visits will be scheduled. "Royal Caribbean is one of the largest cruise ship in the world, Brazil has two operating cruises in the Northeast and only Savior receives this demand. Our goal is to create a route to enter and exit through the Northeast, so we will continue growing the state, "says Danielle.
In August, representatives from Royal Caribbean and the Secretaries of Tourism will hold a tour of the Northeast at all ports of the region to expand the route of the cruise company's northeastern coast.
During the visit, were present: Secretary of State for Tourism, Danielle Novis, Municipal Tourism Secretary of Maceio, Cláudia Pessoa, superintendent of Investment Setur-AL, Mark Pradines, representatives from the Port of Miami, Domitius Silva and Roberto Leoni, and director and product manager of port operations for Royal Caribbean, Diego Dantas and vice president of Royal Caribbean, John Tercek.
Royal Caribbean will be taking part in the Posidonia Sea Tourism Forum, scheduled to take place 21-22 June 2011 at the Onassis Cultural Centre in Athens. In preparation for the event, Royal Caribbean's Senior Vice President Craig Milan spoke a little about the company's view on the Eastern Mediterannean region.
“The Eastern Mediterranean has become increasingly popular for all three of RCI’s brands, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara, prior to the political upheaval in many of the countries of North Africa this year, and we had been shifting more capacity to the region. However, these events have impacted on the demand for all sailings in the East Mediterranean, not only those which had scheduled calls in Egypt. We are hopeful that the demand improves as we move into 2012 and as such, we did not proceed with any changes in our planning for the next season. Looking towards the future, we have seen opportunity to develop some of the newer and smaller ports to enhance our itineraries in this area, especially in connection with the overcrowding that we are experiencing in Santorini and Mykonos. "
"The Black Sea is also interesting and we see opportunities for growth. Azamara at present has a limited number of sailings which are doing well. We would like to add some sailings for Royal and or Celebrity for 2013.”
The explosion occurred on the pier that Independence of the Seas was docked at, according to a statement by Royal Caribbean. Furthermore, Independence immediately retracted her gangway and moved a safe distance away following the explosion.
"Twelve guests sustained minor injuries and have received medical treatment onboard. Two guests were still ashore when the incident took place and were not injured during the explosion.”
Independence of the Seas has resumed its 14-night Mediterranean sailing, having departing from Southampton on May 28, and is due to visit Cannes and Monte Carlo tomorrow.
No doubt by now you've read about the oil tank explosion in Gibraltar that occurred next to Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas. We found this video of the ensuing fire and smoke plume right next to Independence of the Seas as she begins to pull away from the danger area.
Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas has been servicing Brazil for years but before it returns to the South American nation for the 2011-2012 cruise season, it will get some upgrades. Royal Caribbean corporate manager, Alex Calabria says at the end of the summer European season, the Splendor will undergo a comprehensive refurbishment before returning to Brazil.
The ship will gain new lounges, nurseries and wi-fi access. In addition there will be three new restaurants, Giovane Stable, Park Cafe and a Japanese food restaurant.
"An entire floor of outside cabins will be redone with balcony staterooms and have the second store on board the Romero Britto. Will ship to the taste of the Brazilian public," Calabria said.
An oil tank exploded today at Gibraltar on the north mole that is just south of the cruise line terminal. Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas was there but is okay and has left the terminal and pulled out to sea to be safe.
Official reports indicate two injuries, one of them serious burns. No further details yet.
UPDATE: A statement by Royal Caribbean indicates that 10 passengers have received medical treatment for injuries as a result of the explosion, however all the injuries are considered minor.
The statement also said, "Immediately after the explosion, the ship retracted the gangway and moved a safe distance from the dock. Our Care Team is providing support and assistance to our guests onboard"
Bryan Sargent, a New York City photographer, brought his camera aboard a recent Royal Caribbean cruise aboard Explorer of the Seas and managed to take some really great looking shots to share.
Yesterday was the first stop of Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas in Ravenna, Italy which made it's first stop at the brand new cruise terminal that Royal Caribbean has a share in.
The stop in Ravenna was the first ever for Voyager of the Seas and she will be returning again as she is scheduled to make 20 calls in the port of Romagna, which will bring almost 77,000 passengers.
To mark the occasion, on June 20 there will be an official presentation to celebrate the inaugural season at the cruise terminal. From May to October in Ravenna will be operating three ships of the fleet for a total of 25 airports and nearly 90 thousand passengers handled.
After the devastating earthquake struck Japan earlier this year, Royal Caribbean halted all stops to the country but we're hearing now that Royal Caribbean is planning on resuming port of call service to the Asian country.
Thanks to Japan's ability to stabilize the situation, Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas will start making calls in Japan starting with Okinawa on August 1, 2011, following its Hong Kong summer season.
Legend of the Seas will offer 11 sailings including a number of charters to various Japanese ports-of-call such as Okinawa, Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Beppu, Nagasaki and Hokkaido, out from Hong Kong, Tianjin and Shanghai, from late July to early October.
These newly planned itineraries are based mostly on Legend of the Seas' original trips that were planned for this year and are areas that are not affected by the tsunami and nuclear crisis.
Royal Caribbean Regional Director of Asia Pacific thinks its time for Royal Caribbean to return to Japan, "Judging from the current situation in Japan, we are well-assured of the safety of traveling to Japan. Japan has always been an attractive tourist destination and its show of great resilience in the face of the recent crisis has given travelers the confidence to visit the country again. Travellers also understand that visiting these cities on a cruise ship is a safe and hassle-free option.”